What is DIAGNOdent and how does it work?
- DIAGNOdent uses laser technology to detect and quantify hidden or sub-surface caries by measuring laser fluorescence within the tooth structure.
- The device operates at a wavelength of 655 nm. At this specific wavelength, clean healthy tooth structure exhibits little or no fluorescence, resulting in very low scale readings on the display.
- Altered tooth substances and bacteria, including caries, will fluoresce. The DIAGNOdent will react with elevated scale readings on the display.
- An audio tone allows the operator to hear changes in the scale values. This enables the user to focus on the patient — not solely on the device.
- The DIAGNOdent is an extremely accurate, reliable and non-invasive method to aid in caries detection. The device has been awarded the Seal of Acceptance by the American Dental Association, is successfully used by more than 18,000 dental professionals in the United States and is integrated into the curriculum by a growing number of dental schools.
DIAGNOdent offers the following benefits to patients:
- Accurate – Over 90% accurate in detecting lesions not detectable with an explorer or bitewing X-rays.
- Conservative – Prevents “exploratory” excavation or under-treatment of suspect teeth.
- Quantifiable – Precise, reliable measurement allows objective monitoring of caries activity over time.
- Safe – Uses light energy — no X-ray exposure. Poses no danger to staff and patients. Painless, non-invasive examination for patients.
With conventional instruments, it is generally not possible to probe drop-shaped fissures.
DIAGNOdent has the great advantage of detecting caries in the very early stage by measuring the laser flourescence within the tooth structure.